Can A British Citizen Stay In Australia For As Long As They Want?

June 16, 2011

in Q & A, Visas & Passports

I want to move to Australia.  I’m a British citizen and have lived my whole life in London.  Can I stay in Australia for as long as I want?  Are there any good jobs in the customer service field?  How much money will I need to take with me to start a new life there?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Almost Lover June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

depends on quite a few things really, like your age, uni degree, and job qualifications.
Most brit citizens will get a 1 year visa which allows them to work and earn money, but if you have any special skills (like plumber, electrician, nurse, doctor and other highly skilled jobs) you will be given a longer visa, as Australia needs those kind of workers.
As for customer services, thats what i did before i immigrated to Britain from my home town in sydney. It doesnt pay that well, just about the same as here, but is a bit more rewarding then in the UK, as customers are generally friendlier in australia. you will need to save quite a bit of money, the cities are just as expensive to live in as london, but the suburbs are cheaper. Go for a long holiday, but unless you have family/highly skilled you wont get a long visa.

You can do fruit picking for 3 months which gives you another year on your visa, but it is very hard work and pays next to nothing, so you will practically live on the go picking tomatos!

gordon3392 June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

No you can only stay 6 months ,,and cannot work,,,whilst visiting,,,,,

referee June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You would have to get someone to sponser you, depending on how old you are ie… If your under 25 you can go for 2yrs, other than that the limit is 3-6months.
The sponser would have to be Australian.

starcloud.2007 June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Although Australia belongs to the Commonwealth and its head is your Queen, you are a tourist and need a visa. You can stay for 3 months, or 6 months with a special tourist visa. If you want to work there you need a work permit, you must immigrate if you want to live there.
Your only advantage is that you also speak English and need not do the language test when immigrating.
Ask the Australian Embassy in Great Britain for information-

zafir June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You can only stay for 6 months on a tourist visa. You cannot stay as long as you like.

Check out the Australian High Commission in London website, (Australia House) for information on visas, migration, work etc.

K Bear June 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

There is an EXPO coming up next month in the UK about moving to Australia, living and working here – may be worth you going, immigration is there to answer all your questions and if you have a skilled job/occupation Australia is short on they are also making job offers.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: